19.4.11

A gorgeous No.

Today while slaving away (re: staring at) my incomplete portfolio, I decided to do something I never ever do.  And that thing is turning on my TV.  Because this happens so infrequently, I don't know the channels or what's where so it's a little overwhelming (but not as overwhelming as an incomplete portfolio).  But my remote took me to TLC where I spent a solid 13 minutes watching women cry in wedding dresses that for some reason or another weren't good enough.  It mostly involved the necklines.  Necklines apparently will make or break a wedding.

This made me cringe, think, and formulate this list:

Things I will not do:
  •     Spend more on a dress I only wear for one day than I do on a pair of jeans or sneakers.
  •     Get confused about which is more important, a wedding or a marriage.
  •     Yell at people who are only doing their job.
  •     Believe that my wedding day will actually be the best day of my life.
  •     Ever watch TLC again.

3 comments:

  1. Guess we will getting that wedding dress at Goodwill or the Salvation army huh? While I agree that it will not be the MOST important day of your life, I believe it will be an important one. When oyu pledge yourslf to someone it is a BIG thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your list from only 13 mins of 'reality television'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think in our culture there is a certain attachment to a wedding as the idealization of a dream for many women which is marriage. I'm not so sure it's the actual event which is important, but what it symbolizes to the person. If marriage is the pinnacle of someone's dream, then I could see unnecessary emotional attachment occurring. Events and their importance can be over exaggerated when someone reads into the symbolism of such an event.

    I think we do a disservice to set ourselves above others instead of trying to understand the root cause of the real problem. Why is someone emotionally attached to the event and how did they become so? Women are taught a lot of unrealistic behaviors and ideals in our culture. Rather than condemning women or people in general for not meeting standards of behavior, perhaps we should seek to understand them. Often, I find myself not disgusted with people for acting in a certain way, but I pity them because they lack the self-awareness to see the larger picture.

    ReplyDelete