20.6.11

Día del Padre

Happy Father’s day, Mom.  You’ve been a great dad.


  • Because you taught me to find solace on the road.  
    • 2005:  you put 1,220 miles between me and my problems that seemed so momentous at the time.  This infected me with the wanderlust and forever changed me. 
  • Because you always hand back the five when they give you too much change. 
    • 1999:  Showcase Cinemas Huber Heights.  
  • Because you’re really into boxing now. 
    • 2011:  Proof that you’re as strong as I’ve always thought.  
  • Because when I was in elementary school, you were the mom who made sure the kids who couldn’t afford glue sticks and markers had all the supplies they needed. 
    • 2000:  We didn’t have that much money to spare but Michael and Brandon had even less. 
  • Because when I was in 8th grade and wore fishnets and combat boots to school, you were proud of me for being my own person, even though the 11th graders called me a skank.  
    • 2004:  You said the Ghostbuster T-shirt looked sharp with the boots. 
  • Because you had the strength and education to save us from a situation that could have ruined our lives. 
    • 1996:  We ran from his addiction. 
 I love you Mom/Dad.  You're my best friend. [And I'm not just saying that because you buy me margaritas.]

3 comments:

  1. D'aw. Your mom is amazing! Though she's not my mom, she's still had an influence on me. An added bonus is that she raised an amazing daughter too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I'm always touched when someone takes the time to say something nice.
    Which makes me wonder, who is this lovely person? William?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reminded of my own Mother. Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete