4.7.10

Worcester. (It's long)

I am comfy, tucked in my bed, bundled up, and ready to not move any more for a long time.  I’m fighting sleep after a long day, so just ignore my inevitable grammar mistakes. J
Thursday I spent the day exploring the city of Worcester and I have to say, I couldn’t be happier that it’s my hub while I’m spending my time here.  It’s got such a rich history.  The British civil war was fought here.  In fact, some of the buildings on campus were hospitals during the war.  (I hope they’re haunted, I’ll investigate later and report back)
We started the day with the cathedral.  I wasn’t too hyped up about it, but once I got there, the vaulted ceilings, stained glass and raunchy tour guide really struck a cord.  I loved it. The cathedral is over a thousand years old and it’s the same one King Charles camped out in during the civil war.  We went to the library where a jittery librarian in white gloves showed us some literary masterpieces including a hymnal written by the monks at the cathedral over 500 years ago.  It’s the only copy that survived the book burnings.  We weren’t allowed to touch.  I poked. 
Also in the library were books with century old doodles in the margins, illustrations made from crushed rubies, King John’s thumb bone and some skin (still confused). 
We got the opportunity to climb to the tower and see an amazing view of the city of Worcester.  It was an arduous climb with the suffocating, narrow space and vertical staircase (I’m pretty sure the lit professor behind me could see up my skirt the whole time.)
But the time we reached the top, I realized that my camera was dead.  (Grrr!) but I was kind of glad.  So much of traveling is spent trying to take the perfect photo and capture every moment.  Not enough time is spent really experiencing the places you go.  So I just got to focus my day on everything I was seeing and learning instead of lugging out my camera every time I saw something cool.
After that we headed for tea with the mayor at the Guild Hall.  He was funny and reminded me of my Grandpa Pridemore, but he had a sword.  He said he’d actually heard of Arcanum, Ohio, but I’m skeptical. 
I ate pork chops at a fancy fancy restaurant where King Charles II hung out.  I have no idea why I ate pork chops because that is not something I’d normally go for…but it was awesome.  
I had no idea that this town I’m staying in was so instrumental in English history, but it’s also got the bustle of being a modern city and I love that it’s not overrun by tourists.  I can just go through a stroll in the city center and be surrounded by locals, history, and good tea.
Photos soon.
On another note, the weather here is finally becoming the English weather I’d been expecting.  Howling winds, cooler temps, overcast…I love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment