13.7.10

S-U-A.

I spent last Thursday in Stratford-Upon-Avon, the famed birthplace of Shakespeare.  I wasn’t crazy about this place, and I think it shows in the photos.  I got to see the house Will Shake was born in and his grave, but the whole time there was a “So what?” floating around my head.  I did wonder around a pretty awesome cemetery and my vegie burger at the Dirty Duck was top notch. 
We saw the Royal Shakespeare Company’s Romeo and Juliet.  If you know me, then you know that I strongly dislike this particular play. The theater was really interesting and I snapped a few contraband photos. Our seats were raised off the ground so far that the only place for our feet was the bar in front of us and we had to lean forward to see the play.  This got quite uncomfortable by the time the three hour play wrapped up.  I was a little confused as to why Romeo and Juliet were dressed like modern day punks while the rest of the cast was dressed in traditional Elizabethan garb until the end when it was switched.  I’m sure there’s some sort of symbolism involved but it was distracting and they never quite gave the audience enough to fully convey the message they were going for.  All that being said, this was the first time I actually enjoyed Romeo and Juliet.
So in the end, Stratford was full of tourists and lackluster souvenir shops.  It’s not likely I’ll ever make a return trip, but I did have a delightful mint chocolate chip ice cream cone. 
Click to view the album!
Stratford-Upon-Avon

No comments:

Post a Comment