19.7.09

p.s. I miss you

Back from D.C. I was jazzed about being the one to show it to my mom and grandma for the first time. I developed a new pet peeve in the process: Tourists who are more preoccupied with snapping keepsake photos than experiencing a new place for themselves…obnoxious. More to come on that trip soon.

I’m shoving off to New York tomorrow and then Chicago with a brief pit stop at home to get the wisdom teeth removed. I’m a total wimp when it comes to dentists and painful things happening in my mouth so I’m planning on being completely incapacitated for a sold few days.

***

In my summer idleness, I’ve discovered that I miss writing my column. I miss being pushed to take a stand and a deadline forcing me to articulate the mess in my head. There might be a new opportunity for this again, but it certainly won’t be the same as it was when I wrote for the Advocate. No editor could ever come close to offering the encouraging criticism and simultaneous motivation as Bob did. I miss the “old days.”

Even today, if I’m nervous about a piece, I shoot it to him before I send it to my real editor. It’s childish insecurity, but I like to think of it as endearing loyalty.

***

Since hacking my hair off, I’ve been silently willing my follicles to produce luscious locks at an unnatural speed. I miss having hair but I love not having to fuss. In the future when I get frustrated with my do, I won’t hesitate to chop it off again.

I hope my hair heeds the warning: cooperate or else!

***

In other news, life is getting more complicated as it always does before the fall. I’m hoping to handle it with more grace and maturity than in previous years.

I want nature.

I want simplicity.

I want transcendence


No comments:

Post a Comment